Old 06-25-19, 04:35 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The worst thing that could have happened for our planet was for U.S. geologists to find gigatons of oil and natural gas in the Bokken Oil Fields. Have you noticed those giant passenger vans and immense pick-up trucks that are rolling down the Interstates lately? Had a guy get stuck on my street and completely shut down traffic movement for an hour till help came to get him free. Americans have gotten used to freedom of 280 ppl/mi.sq. which is the United States where until recently only 15% lived in 'cities'. Most imagine that other people in other parts of the world would like to live without neighbors, without crowds, alone .... utterly alone. How wonderful. Not. I don't think Portland, OR is crowded, but most people that were raised here lament the 'growth'. Well the price for that growth has been considerable. America, and America alone has put the planet on life support with our outsize appetite for motor vehicle usage.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but you can't ignore the fact that China and India alone have 2.6 billion people. Yes, that's 2.6 billion mouths to feed (with all of the pollution needed to do so), and in countries where the environmental laws leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not blaming them, but to act like the fate of the planet is in our hands alone is shortsighted. 70 plus years ago, maybe, but that ship has sailed.