View Single Post
Old 08-19-19, 12:50 PM
SilverSteve

Bikes: 2003 Iron Horse comfort bike (daily rider); 1981(?) Raleigh Super Grand Prix 25.5", 1983 Raleigh Super Course, 25.5", Austro-Daimler Inter 10, 1988 Trek 560 25.5"; 1986 Peugeot Mont Cenis 64cm.; more to come

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Commuter frame search...

Originally Posted by iamacat
What are some good classic frames for commuting? Specifically interested in being able to fit larger tires (~30mm, hopefully more) with fenders because that's just what I need to do here in rain+pothole country (Seattle). There are lots of 70s and 80s frames for sale but not sure what to look for that would be a good fit for commuting needs.

The Trek 520 with cantilever brakes seem great. Just hard to find in my size. Any more like this?

Thanks!
Yah, check out a steel comfort bike, like Trek, Specialized, etc. with 35, 38 mm wide tires and cantilever brake.. good! I bought a Iron Horse comfort bike back in 2003 for $199 from a bike shop here and it's been nice and low maintenance. Added fenders, good to go! 7 speeds rear and triple rings front. 21" frame fits me and I'm 6'3" and long arms. Miles of smiles!
If you find one with suspension fork, better! Or you can add one to upgrade. ROCK ON..!
Boston, MA.