View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 02:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
And I'll throw in on the contrarian POV and suggest that the Tektro's should be just fine at stopping ~240lbs of bike and rider. But if not, and I'm all for the bling within reason, any canti from the usual suspects: Avid, Shimano, TRP, Tektro ... in the ~$50+(pr!) arena should be plenty adequate. I am always bemused when riders talk about brakes not being adequate. In fact until this thread I hadn't seen anyone happy with any brake that they use. I have seen riders complain about hydraulic disc brakes 'not being adequate'. Seriously I wonder if riders understand that you should WANT your brakes not to throw you over the handlebars everytime you even look at them. I often set up for a corner with some light pressure on one or both brakes and keep some pressure on through the turn. You can't do that if the instant you put a finger on the lever your tire locks up. When I need to stop hard I have to put some pressure on the lever. That is as God intended. That is good braking. I trust the lives of both myself and my dear wife to nameless OEM v-brakes and so can any of you. More expensive brakes will likely be lighter, but they can only be so much lighter. Different brakes of the same brake technology and using the same brake pads CANNOT be all that different in raw stopping power. Simple physics.
Likes For Leisesturm: