View Single Post
Old 03-19-20, 04:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
It is certainly possible to go without a stove and a reasonable choice for some, but almost no one goes light enough that weight is a good reason for doing so.

Even if I pare down to a total base gear weight of 8 pounds my list still includes a minimal stove and cooking gear. I have a range of different choices I use for bike touring, backpacking, and other lightweight outdoor travel. Depending on the situation I might go with a pop can stove, home made pot stand, and windscreen, and ti cup and spork. The whole deal may come in at 6 or 7 ounces depending on exact choices. Add 6 or 7 ounces of fuel (yellow Heet) and you are still well under a pound.

So yes you can trim a little weight by eliminating some of that, but it isn't much and almost everyone is carrying other stuff that I'd would get rid of first. Also the the ti cup and spork are actually over half of the gear weight in my lightest kitchen setup and you might want them even if you don't cook. The burner, stand, and windscreen, are under and ounce and a half. Carrying 1.4 ounces that and a few ounces of alcohol isn't much penalty for a hot beverage and some hot oatmeal before rolling out in the AM.

Even my "heavy" setup with an MSR multi fuel stove, some more amenities, and a large-ish pot is still pretty light and folks still think I am pretty excessive in my efforts to keep the load light.

My canister stove sits somewhere in between.

I guess I might consider going stove-less if I did really short tours, like over night, just to keep it simple. I am not inclined to go much less than 10 days or so at a time though and the notion of going stove-less for a week or more doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-19-20 at 04:39 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: