Old 10-27-17, 09:14 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
One minus is that the headlight generates excessive radio frequency interference, RFI, that prevents operation of a nearby wireless bike computer, so a wired bike computer is required. There is interference when the headlamp operates in Low or Flashing. There is no interference in High or Off.
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's a non-starter for me. I won't knowingly buy a device that causes RFI. It's bad enough that we've dropped our standards so low to accommodate trade in cheap goods. I'll stick with electronics that at least claim to meet those minimum FCC standards, even if it costs a little more. It's usually just a matter of a little shielding, not a huge expense.
Virtually every single device creates RFI. The FCC Title 47 Part 15 and 18 standards do not specifically address LED lighting.

The usage of shielding is the last step to resolve RFI. It is the most expensive, complicated and least effective option. The first step is to prevent RFI. The second step is to eliminate RFI at the source. Usage of shielding is the last gasp, for an incremental improvement.

Please identify bright headlights (3,000 Lumens or brighter) that do NOT interfere w/ a wireless bike computer. It is my understanding that this is a known issue.

Originally Posted by wingless
The very big plus is that cars now notice my bike and wait for me to pass instead of cutting me off.
Originally Posted by angerdan
You force them to let you pass, so it's not about respect anymore.
I expect your light blinds other cyclists/driver so much, they have no other choice than stopping or looking away.
Seems that this light is only usable in the right hands or for nightride/trail/forest use.
On my ride this morning there were a half dozen instances where my prior experience leads me to conclude that vehicles would have cut me off, forcing me to grab a handful of brakes to avoid problems. Instead the encounters were courteous, w/o problems.

So far, in dozens of outings w/ the blinking headlight I have not experienced vehicles "cutting me off".

Add your vote to the pro cutting off the bicycle tally?

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It seems like the green light at the rear of the light would distract my eyes.
My limited nighttime operational experience revealed that the green illuminated indicator was an insignificant distraction. It was in-fact very useful to have this indicator that toggled to red when the battery was near end of charge.