View Single Post
Old 01-05-21, 05:52 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I know many riders young and old that have embraced the larger cogs and smaller chainrings and everyone should ride whatever provides the joy that is riding a bike. I get a kick out of riding my road bikes with the gears described in the Orignal Post and was wondering if other riders also enjoy it and how they get along both mentally and physically. There are plenty of other threads for riders to express their preference and rationale for smaller gears.

Let me rephrase my query: If you had a roadbike that was not a tourer but more of a road racing bike in the 70s or early 8Os and you continue to put most of your weekly miles on a bike like that with gears like that, how is it going?
I have multiple bikes that fit this description. These include a 1972 Schwinn Paramount with a 53 & 42 Campagnolo crankset and a 12-24 five speed freewheel. I also have a 1984ish De Rosa Professional and a 1993 Pinarello Gavia both of these have 53 & 39 cranksets.

These are fun on flat routes. I’ve completed metric century rides on these and I enjoy the mechanical feel and the ride quality. However, I don’t enjoy the guaranteed-to-be-dropped pace during climbs.

The Eddy Merckx below first had a 53 & 39 Dura Ace crankset and 2x7 drivetrain but now has a 50 & 34 eleven speed Campagnolo drivetrain. The Colnago has been sold and the Paramount has been restored since this picture was taken.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.