View Single Post
Old 10-08-19, 09:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
I suggested alcohol as an alternative to "chemicals". I am afraid I rely on chemicals but alcohol will work just takes longer and more effort.
All substances are "chemicals". Some "chemicals" do a better job than others because of their properties. The chemical mixture of grease doesn't have much in common any chemical that can be called "alcohol". It does happen to have a lot in common with the chemical mixture call mineral spirits.

"Alcohol" is a class of chemicals (). What alcohols share in common that make them a class of chemicals is a hydroxyl group attached to a carbon chain that is not part of a benzene ring. Depending on the alcohol, they can be as deadly than other "chemicals". Odorless mineral spirits are fairly benign. The risk of hazard are mostly do to contact and any other risk is relatively long term, i.e. decades. If they cause harm (and that's a big "if"), mineral spirits are known as chronic toxins.

Alcohols...especially shorter chain alcohols and ethylene glycol (a dihydroxy alcohol)...are acute toxins. Their effects show up within at least 14 days of exposure. In the case of methanol (one carbon alcohol), ethanol (2 carbon) and isopropanol (3 carbon), the effects are felt in much less than 14 days. Their effect is almost instantaneous...it's the reason some people drink ethanol. Methanol, in particular, can be toxic upon skin exposure. Ethylene glycol falls within that 14 days but it as least as deadly as methanol.

I wouldn't suggest using mineral spirits willy nilly nor would I suggest doing shots of it. Wear gloves. Use it in a well ventilated area. Avoid using it around open flame. But, in general, it's a safe mixture to use and it's far more effect...which means you need a whole lot less of it...than alcohol when it comes to grease.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: