View Single Post
Old 01-13-20, 02:46 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Ordered a new set of wheels this morning to go on one of the Schwinns . Wheels will take a 8,9,10 speed cassette . Or I’m guessing a 7 speed with a spacer .
Question is since I’ve already invested in new seven speed shifters , should I stick with a 7 speed cassette? Or but new shifters and go with 8 speed cassette?
The 7 speed shifters could go on another build I plan on using the old wheels on .
What advantage would an 8 speed cassette give me over the 7?
Seems like all of the 8 speed stuff is more expensive.
Edit : right now I’m leaning toward staying with a seven speed cassette with a spacer and going with a 12-32 .
Um, go to straight to 9?

Nowadays, 9 speed spidered cassettes are still available, whereas 8 sp spidered cassettes are long gone; so if you want lightweight stuff, go 9 sp and buy accordingly. Shifters are a little better and chains have more nicer options also. Deore pods are a bit better than the 8sp A-level parts. 9 speed also has more gear ratios available.

If my hub can take it, I run 8 speed because my favorite ****ers (XT thumb shifters) can run 8. If it were not for that, I would be going straight to 9. For my 7 sp rigs, I like to run 7 cogs out of 8 so I can mix and match my gears. 12-26, for example from two different cassettes. SRAM 850 is good for mixing and matching cogs as they come apart easily and come in several combinations.

I'd say go 9. If not, go 8. 7 is too gappy or limited in range. 8 is better, but 9 is a sweet spot.