Old 01-15-20, 08:05 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm a car guy at heart, but I have no desire to have the money or space required to do that hobby right. Bikes are a good analog for me, and a healthier hobby as well.

9-speed stuff shifts pretty well in my experience. The sprocket spacing is narrower than 7- and 8-speed, but so is the chain. In theory, there is less room for error as the spacing gets tighter, but I haven't found it to be unreasonably sensitive to cable adjustment or alignment or anything like that. I have thought about moving my main 9-speed bike back to 8-speed, if only for the redundancy in chains and quick links (most of my bikes are either 7- or 8-speed). I wouldn't spend the money on moving back unless or until I need to replace something.
i still love cars , but not the up keep .
I sold my 1987 Convertable Mustang GT last year . I was the third owner , it was a garage queen . Owned it five years and only put 1100 miles on it . Would only drive it when the weather was top down weather . The Transmission started slipping on me because of sitting in the garage. I left it go rather than putting more money into it . Turned out to be an $8 part .
it made room so I could add a couple bikes and have room to work on them again .
I have a few frames I’d picked up at yardsales , but only have 8 bikes that I could air up and ride . Not a big collection, but something I enjoy tinkering with and riding .
Being in my late 60’s and overweight, it’s good exercise for me .
I try to build them or I guess the term might be adjust , to be as comfortable to ride as possible.
My old Schwinn Cross bikes have become the most comfortable for longer rides and they fit .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 01-15-20 at 08:09 AM.