Old 04-19-18, 08:53 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IrishYorf07
Since I posted it on the Trek DS thread, I'll put it here as well. I test road a DS 2 and 3 yesterday and then a Roam 2. Very similar ride and you get better components for the money with Giant. Seems to be why a lot of you opted for the Roam over the DS. I will say my posture felt a little more comfortable on the DS but not a huge difference, I'm kind of in between a Medium and Large in Roams sizing, so that might be why. I'd love to test a Cannondale CX but our shop doesn't have any in stock.

Anyhow... those of you that aren't newbies like me... there's clearly more bang for your buck with the Giant... so why spend hundreds more on the Trek? Is it really just about name and cosmetics or are there other factors to steer one towards spending more and getting the Trek?
IMO, the only reason I would have to get a Trek DS over the Giant Roam, is if I really want the remote lockout fork option and the Blendr stem that it comes with. I actually would have benefited from it, because I have a Bontrager front light, which would mount easily on the Blendr stem. I still chose the Roam 2 because I really like how it looks, I think it offers good value and the test ride was comfy and fun. I also decided that bending down to lock or unlock the front fork, wasn't worth spending more money on a different bike. I can also simply install a Bontrager Blendr stem on my Roam 2 later (if I really wanted to), or get the mount brackets for my Bontrager lights, which are like $5.99 a piece.