Old 06-26-23, 11:02 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 224 Posts
Over on your side of the pond, eBikes are limited to 250 W and 25 kph (15.5 mph). 250 W on a rear hub motor on a heavy bike is not a lot.

I think you're on the right track by aiming towad a mid drive bike. I don't think you need to spend thousands of pounds on a fancy Bosch one, though. Mid drive is the main thing, because it lets the motor use the bike's gearing. The hub drive has its own planetary gear set inside, but it is at a disadvantage for hills especially.

Try to get a ride on a decent quality mid drive bike next. I think the seller would be happy to let you test ride it after hearing about your first ride on a cheap hub drive bike. A smart seller will KNOW it will be a game-changer for you and you're more likely to buy it.

Things to consider going car-free:
  • Are you willing to ride in a heavy rain? (I hear it rains a LOT in Ireland...)
  • Are you willing to ride in cold? Looks like it doesn't get cold enough for snow to stick near Dublin.
  • Can you carry everything you need? (groceries, larger items, girlfriend)
A Drycycle would solve the first two bullets, but it's expensive:

You might find that you can replace the car for a lot of your trips but not all. In that case, maybe it makes more sense to invest in a good eBike and sign up for a rent-as-you-go car program?

For what it's worth, I think the best bike at a reasonable price to replace a car is a long tail cargo bike. In the US, the big one lately is the Lectric Expedition. I'm sure you have something similar on your side of the pond. They are universally liked by reviewers.

Last thing: I hear over there you have a class called Pedelec. (or is that just Europe?) From my understanding, this is an electric moped class. Maybe THAT is a good option for you.

In any case, let us know what you decide upon.

Last edited by Smaug1; 06-26-23 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For Smaug1: