Old 07-16-19, 04:01 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
No particular amount of force is read nor required for this triggering to occur
Unless you have a torque sensor instead of a cadence sensor. My BionX assist is a rear hub drive. Its torque sensor inside the hub senses the amount of tug on the chain. Pedaling speed has nothing to do with it. If I put it in a big gear and push hard the torque sensor tells the motor to push hard and I get a big return for the increased effort. If I shift into a lower gear and spin faster and more lightly the motor backs off .

I do agree with BigAura on one point. There is really no difference between a thumb throttle and a pedal assist (speaking for my torque sensor, not sure how fast a cadence sensor responds).* If I want to take off fast with the flow of traffic when the light changes I just put it in level 4 assist and step on the gas pedal. The bike shoots ahead (as if it had a motor) the same as it would by pressing a thumb switch. Two different switch designs that do the same thing.

All of my riding now is on paved roads or gravel roads open to motor vehicles so I'm not going to join the above debate. I don't like riding on MUPs anyway. The nearest one is 22 miles away and doesn't go anywhere.

Originally Posted by BigAura
Please explain what you mean as relates to the requirement that Class 1 eBikes must have a torque sensor.
Who said that??? An ebike has either a cadence sensor or a torque sensor, not both. Most have a cadence sensor because they're cheaper.

Last edited by BobG; 07-17-19 at 03:39 AM. Reason: * clarified for linberl