Old 01-05-20, 11:39 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
When I first retired in 2018, I started a cross country tour from Boston to my home in Santa Rosa, CA. Just before I left, I changed my front bars from the Surly standard drop bar to a Jones H-Bar. This proved to be a big mistake for me. While many others use and love the Jones H-Bar, they caused numbness in my hands that became more severe as the days and miles passes. I finally had to suspend my ride in Dayton, OH as I could no longer make my hands work well enough to sign my name, let alone fix a flat or any other simple maintenance. I spent the rest of that summer off the bike waiting for the feeling to return to my hands. In the fall, when my hands worked again, I changed everything back to drop bars. No more hand numbness from riding.

Summer 2019 was spent in a three month bike tour with my wife around France (mostly). Summer 2020, I plan to return to Dayton and pick up where I left off in 2018 and continue heading West. Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I don't think I'll have enough time to complete the route this year either. If I get to Pueblo, CO, I'll be happy. I can pick the route up there at a later date.