Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
This will bore some of you experienced riders, (and I know there are specific threads for ride experiences) but I thought I'd share the experience of my first ride outside my neighborhood.
Quick background; I used to enjoy running, but kept hurting myself. Some medical issues with the spouse as of late has raised up the stress levels (and my weight; not to mention the drinking frequency) and after 3 runs in the first week of December, I was on crutches, and finally decided to pull the trigger on my (longtime-coming) decision to buy a bike.
I don't know any cyclists, so I spent time researching online, bought a book, joined this forum of low lives, and proceeded to educate myself.
Long story short, I got the bike, started riding, and was immediately hooked. Rode around the neighborhood to get used to the bike, then the clipless pedals, and finally was ready to venture out this weekend.
I found a 7.5 mile stretch highway 10 minutes north of my neighborhood that has a bike lane the entire way and only 1 turnoff per side (for a trail head). Figured this would be a great place to start.
I woke up in the morning thinking about the ride. Packed the bike in the wife's SUV and headed out. I told her to keep her cell phone near in case I needed her to come get me.
I parked at the trail head, got kitted up and started riding. I got on the road and felt the first car go by... I know I should ride in the middle of the bike lane, but I'm on the right edge, nervous.
I start picking up speed; the first thing that occurs to me is damn, it's a lot more wind than I expected... and not because it was windy.
The rush of it all hits me as I crest the first small hill and head down. Suddenly I'm 9 years old, in the remote dirt road with my Dad, and he's letting me drive the family car by myself. I shift the 5 speed Nissan, my feet barely reaching the throw of the clutch, and grind the gears.. oh damn, but what fun. I shift the Shimano 105 gearset and understand now why people say not to shift under load.
As I was riding, I began to wonder about a few things. What if I get a flat? What if someone comes up behind me to pass? What if I hit a rock or some dirt and lose control?
I decide to stop for my first drink. I didn't dare try it while riding. I slow and approach the stop. Oh sh*t! I unclipped my left foot as I always do, but instinct makes me lean right (due to the traffic on my left). I begin to fall, but am able to unclip the right foot at the last moment and save myself. I take a look to make sure nobody sees me, and then get my drink. Heart beating faster than it should be... maybe from the excitement, maybe from being scared of the near fall, what difference does it make?

I get back on and continue riding. I shift down to go up another small hill, then shift back... ah the familiar gear. Wait, do I have a favorite gear? What a weirdo.
As I pick up speed, I'm amazed by how stable the bike is. No vibration, no oscillation. When I shift, it's so smooth, I barely even hear it. I convince myself I made the right decision when I changed my order from the Tiagra SL 4 to the 105 on an emotion fueled impulse. Regardless, I appreciate the machine.
I get going fast; faster than I've ever ridden a bike before. The excitement climbs again. I think about all the stress from the month. Which one is first? The argument with the wife earlier in the day. Fine, bring it on, I ride hard as long as I can; take out all the frustration. I used to do this on a run; and paid for it in pain the next day. F*ck you; what's next?
I go faster; the excitement builds. A truck pulling a horse trailer goes by; the rear left wheel of the trailer over the white line of the bike lane. Oh sh*t.
What if I have to stop quickly? I can barely stop normally! There's a bitter taste in my mouth. Ah, the adrenaline. I look to the right, thinking about what I'd crash into if I had to bail. It wasn't good.
Now I'm reminded of the first time I'm in an airplane by myself. I'm 22, no time to be scared; no one else is going to fly the plane if I wuss out. The rush is exhilarating... and addictive.
I keep riding.
Finally I hear the rustle of a chain behind me and realize someone is coming to pass me. I don't even try to look back, luckily on this stretch of the road, there's a shoulder as wide as the bike lane to the right. I move over to the right and this guy rides past me. The speed he was carrying was nothing short of amazing. I notice the TT handles. I realize how weird it was that it was the closest I've ever been to anyone in full kit.
I finish the out and back, the 15 miles as planned. I know I should stop (I have plans in the evening), but I want to keep riding. 2 more miles I convince myself.
I did 5 more.
I know there'll never be a first ride like this one again, so I stop and savor it.

Damn.
That was fun.
Coming off a stomach bug that's kept me off the bike for a while, this just got me pumped up to go ride. Nothing beats that feeling of absolute freedom, you captured it perfectly.
Likes For Dan333SP: