View Single Post
Old 02-19-20, 09:29 AM
Spesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
From that, I share with my wife the love of good rest. She doesn't do endurance sport, but we get our proper time in.

I feel like my sleep hours are superior to others I ride with and despite my intensity to hours ratio being a bit beyond the recommended 80/20......I manage fine. It's the intensity I find keeps me able on low hours able to hurt guys who are often on 30, 50, or 100% more hours per week than I am.

That combo of sleep/recovery and intensity really helps.
I think the devil is in the details here too. My goal this season, more than any other, is to be crit fast. 60 or 90 minutes of balls to the wall. This is a little more in line with my physiology, which helps, but in years past I've been wanting to be able to race the early season stage races and if you're talking about racing 250 miles in 3 days, you really need to put in some volume (maybe I'm projecting a bit). In lieu of the ability to train 15-20 hours a week, the training has to be intense. This isn't anything new but I don't think I've ever really ramped it up this early in the season. It might fail miserably but we'll see.