Old 09-02-18, 12:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The last time I was in Portland, they had an explosion of the dockless electric scooters.
I wouldn't have expected exploding scooters to be popular ... except maybe as gifts.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think more of the attraction of the e-scooters is technology, and not having to actually pedal.
The answer is so simple, but some people are simply unwilling to imagine a world ... that actually exists.

PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO PEDAL.

The reason more people don't ride bikes is because they don't want to ride bikes. The fact that posters here Do want to ride bikes is irrelevant.

I am sure if we went to gun forums there would be people wondering, "Why doesn't everyone want to own and shoot guns?"

I am sure there are a Lot of people who ask, "Why do those idiots want to ride bicycles?"

But as far a why people don't cyclo-commute, or cycle to stores, or as to why powered scooters are more popular than bikes---People don't want to pedal. People don't want to do work on the way to work. People don't want to work up a sweat on the way to the store. People do not want that much physical exertion. When they (if they) do want physical exertion, they want it in forms they find more pleasing than riding a bike.

It is like opening a restaurant selling offal---and asking why people don't want to eat intestines. Some do ... but the number is very small. Some people think thyroids are a delicacy---most people think they are not food. Some people love ducks' feet or pigs' feet ... most people find them disgusting. If the restaurant owner cannot face reality he will face bankruptcy ... much as this thread is logically bankrupt.

Anyone who cannot understand really basic things ... doesn't want to. I think the OP qualified here.

People Do Not Want to Have to Exert Themselves for Recreation.

if they did, there would only be bike rentals, and no scooter rentals ... but everywhere I have every gone, the situation has been the opposite.

And having rented mopeds with some friends one time .. it is a lot of fun, being able to zip around maniacally through and around traffic, using sidewalk, alley, gutter, whatever ... and for the vast numbers of people who have never ridden motorcycles, people simply don't know the pleasure of traveling right out in the open, connected with the world, instead of seeing everything from inside a box through glass screens.

The real question here is, why does the OP regularly reject reality, and refuse to think in terms of other people, when asking about what other people think?

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-02-18 at 12:57 PM.