Old 07-25-19, 11:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I don't currently use a front light, just a tail light. As I ride, I see other riders coming toward me and I am amazed at how visible they are at a distance with front lighting. I don't ride at night, but I often go out just before sunrise. Also, I ride on heavily shaded roads with lots of contrast. I want to be seen. So I am considering one of the Cygolite Metro front lights, because I like the idea of its Daylightning mode. Good name! And it seems to have a long runtime, reducing battery recharges.

Any thoughts about Daylightning as a Be Seen light? Also, these lights are available in a few different brightnesses at different prices. The 850 lumen model is $40, and they go downward (and upward) from there. How much brightness is needed for optimum visibility?

Thanks!
I have a Cygolite Dash 460 (460 lumens) that is more than up to the task of making me visible in broad daylight. I've tested it every way possible to make sure. The worst scenario for a light is when the morning or evening sun is setting behind the light. That is harder than high noon when the overall sky is brighter. (Think about driving a car into the morning sun vs driving in the middle of the day. The morning sun coming right at you is more blinding than the noon day sun even though the noon day sun is brighter overall.) The 460 lumen light can overpower the light from the sun behind you and make you plenty visible. At high noon it's even better.

The 460 is a little underpowered at night for use as a full headlamp. It's fine for making me visiible to cars at night (obviously, since it can do it during the day) but it's a little underpowered for lighting my path so I can see what's in front of me. On the well lit streets I ride in the dark, this is a non issue. But if you ride at night on dark streets, the 460 is underpowered.

Nighttime riding in total darkness where you need an actual headlamp to light your way is the only reason I'd go for the 800+ lumen lights.