View Single Post
Old 07-29-19, 04:07 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Demet View Post
I will ride it around town, for errands and as my primary transportation year round. Here's a rough outline of my plan, but it's all up for feedback and reconsideration [...]

5. Change gears to single gear for now. I actually haven't changed the gears on the bike at all yet, just rode it home in gear seller had it in, and it was OK, but I didn't have any serious hills to deal with. I'm not sold on the fixie craze but for the short term might try it out, then upgrade when I get other things dialed in. Need to figure out gears to use, what I can reuse from current, wand what I will need new and how to do it. [...]
Gears are not very well tuned, and I think when I do new wheels I will try fixed gear for a bit. Have been hardly shifting at all, and am fine 95% of the time.
I imagine that with this as your primary transportation you'll encounter hills, headwinds and tailwinds. What's the problem with the gears as they are?

The brake levers look extraordinarily uncomfortable to me. Most people with handlebars like this would prefer to position brake levers so that they could be used from the handlebar grips. That means a different shape of brake lever, positioned not in front of and sideways from the grip but instead below the grip.

But are you sure that you wouldn't get used to, and come to appreciate, the drop bars that came with the bike?