Old 01-14-18, 05:43 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by tablatom
Hi,
just been to wonderful Singapore. We went to Palau Ubin and hired some bicycles. Saw Monkeys, wild pigs, Hornbills, fabulous.

All the biggish camping grounds have kitchens with power, hot water, ovens.
Showers with hot water, sometimes wifi, and if you strike it extra lucky, hot tubs out doors.

NZ doesn't have Mosquitoes, BUT it has SANDFLIES!! All year long. But they really only get you at night. And they are mainly near big rivers and lakes.
Make sure your tent has fly screens.
Before you leave Singapore, buy Tiger Balm roll on. This will take care of the little monsters.
Thanks for all the tips.
Glad you liked Singapore.
Ok, got it on the biting insects.
I do always keep a bottle of some sort of Chinese Medicated Oil (eg. Tiger Balm) in my camera bag for multi purposes.
(Eg. Bruises; Insect Repellent; Sniffy Nose; Removal of Sticker Residue; etc)

Originally Posted by Steve0000
It has both and you need to keep an eye out for the mozzies at night in your tent. You need a repellent.

I have cycled a lot of the trail with 1.5" road tyres. The gravel is mostly well packed and the trails along the canals have a well worn track to avoid the loose gravel. The trail is easy with few climbs. The main climb is from Ohau which is also the most scenic from comments I have read. I did not cycle this section but bypassed it by taking the road from Twizel to Omarama. There is also a climb up the Otematata Saddle which is not too long. And you have the short sharp one up the Benmore Dam.

It can get cold at any time of the year so take warm clothing and good rainwear. You are cycling in autumn so the weather may get cold.

Some parts of our journal for the trail...
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=493413&v=1K
Thanks for the advice and link (I will have to really study your article .. thanks)
Your information on the route itself and the handling of 1.5" tires on the route is really reassuring.
Saves me worrying about trying to fit 1.75" knobblies on my bike which will take some effort (and may still not fit).

Do you/anyone has an opinion on a Rain Cape over a Rain Jacket?
I have both, but I am thinking of bringing the rain cape so that it drapes over the bike front where my camera bag is (on the handlebar), is more ventilated when riding and it works as a rain cover/tarp if necessary.
Of course the downside is the effect of headwinds on it.

Originally Posted by rifraf
I respectfully disagree.
Lots of areas of NZ have mosquitos.
Sandflies are generally only about before dark and thats about when the mossies come out to play and carry off small children.
South Island West Coast has mossies often mistaken for seagulls........ well sparrows at least.
A good repellant will deter them for the most part.
I know what Tiger balm is but have never heard of its use for deterring NZ's little vampires.
I'll give it a twirl next time I'm over there, but will take some deet in case the NZ varieties haven't heard of the Tiger Balm either.

Recommend a very good rain jacket to be taken with you OP as well as a warm sleeping bag.
Cold weather can strike much of the South Island at any time so layering is important.

NZ's weather can be wild at any time of year so again, think hard about your rainwear, quality tent able to withstand rain and wind, sleeping bag and warm clothing options.

You might enjoy some of the insights of RonK's journeying here: whispering wheels, singing spokes...

Or there is likely plenty to be found in https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...octype=journal
Great info! Thanks.
I think my tent, sleeping bag is sorted out.

I worry a bit about my warm clothing at this point.
I've mainly got regular thermals and not much in cold weather outer clothes. (cycling clothes are fine).
I am currently thinking of buying some of these when I am in NZ since it produces a lot of wool products and I get to buy what the locals wear.