View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 01:36 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,292 Posts
Originally Posted by okrunner
I have a blue Kabuki with Shimano 600 crank and brake levers with remaining components Superbe. The paint is bad and decals off so unknown if it were the DFD. Any help on what model came with Shimano 600 would be helpful. It's my understanding the Shimano 600 was the predecessor to Ultegra. Therefore, a bike one stop down from the very top end. Probably some won't like the fact that I changed the wheelset and cold forged the rear triangle to accept 130mm standard road hub. It's set up 9 speed in the rear now but could easily accommodate 11 speed. It's an extra bike as I have a newer steel frame road racer and a carbon gravel bike, but the Kabuki Cro-Mo is buttery smooth and a joy to ride.
It could be a HillTopper . The late model(after 1978 or so) Diamond formula has vertical dropouts and the Hilltopers I have seen are horizontal. The components may not be original. I bought my Diamond Formula in 1976 or so (the red one in an earlier post above) and it came with Suntour components and Did Come G brakes and drilled brake levers. I changed wheels on mine a couple of years after I bought it. Then about 5 years ago went pretty much all Campagnolo record/super record and a Brooks saddle. They are fine bikes. I still ride mine even though I have more "Top Drawer" bikes in my stable. It is 80% sentimentality , but I still like the feel of my Kabuki Diamond Formula! Joe