Old 11-13-19, 01:16 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by liampboyle
Evening commute 11/12/19 16° - the bike had warmed up enough in the office that I was able to get it back on the largest chainring on the front and the 4th largest cog on the rear. After I had gotten it that far the bike decided it was a fixie. so I got to ride the whole way home in one gear.

Morning Commute 11/13/19 14°F - Sunny but cold, I ditched the cycling gear for jeans and a sweatshirt under my jacket. That was almost too much. Still riding the bike as if it was a fixie (because she won't shift to larger cogs in this weather) so commute went a bit slower than usual. It's supposed to warm up to around 40°F so maybe I'll have gears to choose from on the way home. It's looking like I'll need the cables replaced so I might as well get the Jones H-Bar I've been wanting and have the new handle bar and the cables all done at one shot by the LBS.
A few years ago after suffering through many of the same shifting problems I replaced the stock cables on my old winter bike with Jagwire stainless steel cables and lined housing. That put an end to the friction caused by rust and ice. Shifts great now and the cables will probably outlast the rest of the bike. I liked the cables so much that I replaced the cables on my hybrid with the same ones.