Old 10-16-19, 10:09 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Krane XL I've personally broken two steel frames and one steel fork. I've seen friends break multiple aluminum frames. The aluminum frames broke at the headset, rear chain stays, and rear dropouts. I broke both steel frames on the seatpost tube down by the cranks. I have run into many stories in Bike Forum and elsewhere detailing broken frames and forks in all materials. I would like to see an impartial site set up for reporting bicycles frame/fork and component failures. Like you I am a bigger person and have weighed as much as 280lbs. I've had my share of frame and component failures over the years and would love to quantify those failures so others don't get hurt. As an older man I don't beat my bicycles and I ride on them straight. No side loading by leaning the bicycle. I have had no failures of anything for years now. The last things I broke years ago were cassette side rear spokes. Some bicycles are built stronger using design and materials to make it stronger. Some bicycles are built ultimately light and have weight limits. I've found that some weight limits are way too high and have broken components. The unbroken frames and forks I ride were built for durability and have never caused me issues. I've run into people that have opinions about stuff I've broken that run counter to my experience. I think good impartial data would solve a lot of the uninformed discussion on the internet about design and use of bicycles. Sorry for the run on sentences in my first post. It was late at night, far far away, and I was falling aslee.......