Old 07-01-19, 09:10 AM
michaeldb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fully agree about proper set up for ease of riding. I've had numerous people over the years tell me my bike was the wrong size for me or set up wrong etc. However, I been riding a now vintage chris kvale frame I had made for me back in 1977. Chris and I worked out what would be a proper frame for my riding needs, riding style and body size with the understanding that I would get heavier as I got older. This also included the top components I wanted and were correct for my needs. I know that having the perfect racing bike would not serve riding in NYC or touring, but I needed and wanted a thoroughbred bike with race quality build. So the design mixed tubing types and styles and we adjusted the angles to support a balance between handling, stiffness with good rebound flex. All I can say is a design with correct set up can produce a super strong touring/racer that in my twenty was my daily transport on crappy NYC streets getting from one job site to another. The set up gave me great balance even when I loaded the bike with 50lbs of tools on my blackburn rack. I never cracked of damaged the frame and when unloaded was fast and easy handling bike for me to group ride central park. Simple things like using a brooks pro saddle which was not light helped with balance and comfort (once broken in) versus a skinny race saddle can't be under valued. It's kind of like having custom made suit. It just feels better on your body..the same way a proper set up bike feels riding it.