View Single Post
Old 02-06-19, 10:13 PM
raywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BOB Yak Cotter Pin Alternative

I have acquired a BOB Yak 16. It seems mine is an old model. It doesn't have any built-in device to keep the trailer attached to the skewer. It came with two cotter pins that, I gather, are supposed to be useful for this purpose, but I'm not seeing how or where those pins are supposed to be attached. I see that Alex Wetmore has jury rigged the newer BOB clips to work on an older trailer but, there again, I don't see how it works -- I don't see why his clips don't just fall off. I've attached some photos to illustrate my situation at present. I would really appreciate links to the Yak 16 user's manual, explanations on how to rig up the old or new pins, or suggestions for alternative solutions.

Update: just as I am about to post this, in the first of my three photos, I see the little hole at the bottom right corner of the trailer fork. I guess that's probably where the cotter pin goes -- but in which direction? And I can see why people said they would fall out -- is that really going to hold the trailer onto the skewer when you're doing a sharp turn with a heavy load? Would it make more sense to thread it and run a bolt through that hole, even if doing so makes it harder to put in and out? I'd guess not -- pressure could bend the bolt -- but then what does that say about the future prospects of the cotter pin?