View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 03:34 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
My motivation was that I wanted to build a nice wheel set.
My expectation was based upon another high end rim I built (HED) and that I would not have any problems with the build/components. The spokes are CXrays and the hubs are T11s.

The AForce has been around for a few years. Most of the reviews I read were glowing. Never read anything really negative about them.
I wanted a wider/taller rim so at 32mm tall and 24mm wide these fit the bill. My other choice was Easton R90s.

Art is so subjective its difficult to explain. Everyone has their own take.
My comment was based upon the craftsman as an artist. Eventually the craftsman raises the level of his craft so high it becomes art.

As the craftsman/artist, you decide when it's done. I suppose this comes by experience; or maybe just a feeling.
As a ceramic artist all my work is signed so it's a matter of me not wanting work with my name on it floating around out there that doesn't meet my standards.
Everyone's standards are different.
For me, it's finished when you are proud to hand it over to someone else.
Or again for me, when it's so freakin good you don't want to hand it over to someone else!
I still have some work around here that I felt like no one would appreciate but me.
On the other hand, I still have work around here that I made only for my use that aren't good enough to leave the apartment.

As far as the wheel set goes, if I were, and I guess in this case I am, the wheel builder, would I let this out of my shop and onto a customers bicycle? In this case, no. Honestly I got a hard time putting them on my bicycle since I put so much time in getting my ride just right.
If you are doing this commercially, eventually your success will be based upon what your standards are.

I've been mulling over these wheels for a couple of days now.
Vendor has gone dark on me so I guess I'm on my own.
I'm seriously thinking about scrapping these wheels; rebuilding them on some DT350s I got and just dumping them on CL.
I 'made' these wheels, although I had no control over the components. If I part them out, they are no longer 'mine.' Does that make sense? Give you an idea of how I think as an artist?
I can visualize that 'hop' in my mind going round and round and round.

Here's the thing about art: the artist is going to see things that 99.99999% of folks are going to miss. You know it 's there. Do you let it out of your shop?
If I were doing this commercially, I would like to be known as the wheel builder who only sells wheels that are as close to perfect as I can get them.
Not the dude who sells wheels that look they came out of the 2nds bin.
Then again to someone else, these wheels will be perfect!