View Single Post
Old 04-29-20, 09:02 AM
rsteilberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Trek Verve 3--did I pick the right bike?

I recently moved into an area in the DC metropolitan area that is bike-commutable to work--about a 30 min ride. I also don't have a car and really needed something that could haul groceries to and from the grocery store 1.5 miles away. Would love to avoid getting a car and using Metro and bike all summer long to work (when we finally get let out of quarantine). It would also be neat if maybe one day I could take my bike out to some packed trails outside of the city area.

I run a lot but running limits how much of the area I can explore so being able to do fitness rides is also important to me.

I have never owned a "real" bike--rode my childhood Trek through college and haven't even had one for the past two years. After talking to two different shops I settled on the Trek Verve 3 Disc. The salesperson was nice but was pushing a Sirrus X 3.0 on me. I also test rode a Trek FX 3 Disc.

I ended up settling on the Verve 3 because it was cheaper, seemed more comfortable, and admittedly because I just loved the navy blue finish. Call me dumb but I have always been into aesthetics. I also picked the Verve because I knew Trek was a great brand and because the Verve was the bike I had researched.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice. The Verve is great for the grocery need--I've got two panniers on a rack on the back and it can haul a week's worth of groceries no problem. But when I ride for fitness (I've done 3 ~10 mile rides so far) it feels sluggish and heavy--like I have to really pedal my guts out to get the speed I want, especially on the slightest of grades. Browsing some forums lead me to believe that I maybe should have gone with the FX or Sirrus X instead.

I'm already planning on replacing the Bontrager Boulevard saddle with a Brooks B17 or B17 Special that's coming in the mail. Not sure how much that will help. Many people also tell me the suspension seat post is a gimmick and I should consider replacing it.

If I replaced the wheels (Bontrager H5 700x45mm) with something a bit slimmer and lighter would that help? Or should I just save up for a couple months and try to trade the Verve in for a Sirrux X 3.0 or 4.0?

Feeling pretty bummed about screwing up my first bike purchase.
​​​​