View Single Post
Old 10-19-20, 04:04 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I know you’re the 650b guy and I want one because but I do wonder if there’s really any benefit to a 650x48-52 over a 700x44.
My wife's MAP got me going on this 650b kick.

I was amazed she could run up to 48's, which are great for our gravel country roads and even the river bottoms.

She didn't seem to lose any speed either.

We do group rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays and she's usually in the first group.

Then I rode a buddies' Yeti SB5 plus and I fell in love. On tight mtb trails and narrow singletrack, the bike felt whippier and lighter on its feet. So I sold my 29'r Yeti and bought the SB5plus from a friend.

Then I bought a PL forum member's 650b Weigle after I gave up looking for a used MAP for myself. That bike fills the same purpose as my wife's MAP. It's a true go anywhere bike as it handles the sand and gravel roads here as well as the MAP.

The 650b wheel size has so many great tires available, I made the jump because I could find nice tires with relative ease. Often spendy, but still easy to find.

Also, I like the comfortable ride I get from my larger width tires and I'm certainly not that fast anymore.
Likes For gomango: