Thread: Old or new
View Single Post
Old 04-25-19, 06:57 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Why? A vintage bike can be set up with vintage gearing that is fine for hilly routes. I have two vintage bikes set up with triples and low gears in the 20s (typically 30x32 or 30x28). I rode one of these on the Markleeville Deathride last year (135 miles and 16,000' of climbing). Sure, it'll be a tiny bit slower than a new carbon bike because it's about two water bottles heavier, but that is not discernible to most riders unless they're racing.
It's clear from your essay that you only consider gearing and weight as components that influence climbing performance.

I also know a few things about vintage bikes and hilly rides, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...dairyland.html

I've been successful at completing very hilly rides on vintage bikes, and using a triple helps. However, modern bikes have many features that improve climbing efficiency. Each contribute to performance in their own way. First, STI shifter and Ergo levers allow shifting while climbing while out of the saddle, few cyclist can accomplish this with downtube shifters. Electronic shifting provides rapid and precise shifts while climbing and the risk of over or under shifting is eliminated. There is no longer any need to trim the front derailleur while shifting across the cassette, as is required when shifting a triple.

Modern bikes are more aerodynamic. Modern bikes are stiffer. Frame flex is reduced and less power is lost. All of these factors improve the preservation of momentum. Hills do not extract the same penalty if the cyclist can apply power constantly from beginning to end without the inevitable loss of momentum while a down-tube shifter is finessed.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-26-19 at 06:14 AM.