View Single Post
Old 05-14-19, 08:35 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
Thanks for the advice, Dan. I too have been running since my first year in high school (on/off however). How much training time in open water do you reckon is necessary for a first timer? I know this might sound silly to you, but I feel pretty confident swimming longer distances in my local pool. Is there any comparison? What factors (besides waves/wind) are there in open water? I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.
Well...training time required in open water will differ from person to person. Do it until you're comfortable out there. Because you'll be in fresh water of Lake Michigan there isn't as much concern as there would be in salt water (unless you're down south and there are gators and snakes in the fresh water). There will be waves/chop that will be significantly different than in the pool. You can't see the bottom...no line to follow. Sun may affect your vision. You should get comfortable with all that. Breathing techniques are important. Being able to breathe bi-laterally (both sides) is very valuable. Not only for sighting, but actual breathing too. If you turn to breathe and a wave hits your face making it impossible to get a breath...you can turn to the other side and breathe. You'll be swimming in very close proximity to other swimmers too. That's hard to mimic in workouts...but as you swim think about what you'll do if/when you collide with someone and your goggles get knocked off, for example. Practice putting goggles back on while treading water. Obviously in salt water, unaccustomed swimmers have more to think about. Stinging and blighting things lurk! "Was that a shadow caused by a wave, or was it a shark?" "Did I just get stung by a jellyfish or was it just seaweed?"

Dan