Old 02-20-11, 12:16 AM
slide23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bragi
For example, one of my challenges is grocery shopping. I have a touring bike with two panniers, and I can carry quite a bit in terms of of weight, but volume is a killer; I keep buying a single roll of toilet paper at one time just so I have room for actual food! And I find myself going to the store a few times a week, rather than just once, just because of the volume issue.
I am a huge believer in the promise of trailers. I have owned a variety of trailers (BOB, Nomad, Wike, Carry Freedom City). Recently, I bought the Burley Travoy and it's a real game-changer. Light enough to use constantly, stable enough for all normal loads, stable under hard and fast cornering, extremely maneuverable. My commute is 16 miles each way and the trailer does not impact my commute too badly.

The ability to bring the trailer in the grocery store spares the user from having to deal with locking up the trailer with the bike. And the bag system is excellent for groceries and work commutes. If there isn't a Burley bag that does the job, I can use their adjustable straps (two included with the trailer) to secure just about anything to the trailer.

I could really rave on about this trailer, but I'll spare you. The short of it is: the Travoy has been a major positive impact on my personal business, errand-running, and daily commute.

Another problem I have is looking presentable when I get to my destination. Work isn't a problem, because I arrive much earlier than anyone else and can change clothes if necessary, but what about meeting friends at a pub when it's pouring rain? I've arrived at plenty of social occasions wearing dripping-wet rain gear, and fortunately for me everyone has been fairly tolerant, given the local culture, but it's still a bit awkward, and I can imagine that this sort of thing would be social suicide in some other places.
I have often wondered what they purpose of Showers Pass rain gear is. One of my employees recently had his 30th birthday party and the purpose occurred to me as I sat in my soaking clothing: it's for people with social lives.

So, what are your car-free/ car-lite challenges and how do you deal with them?
Good thread! My largest issue has been enough cargo capacity, yet still retaining maneuverability.