View Single Post
Old 12-14-13, 07:39 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
How about a winter update? How do you get the bikes in there with all the winter crud on them? Inquiring minds want you know.
First, Looigi, LOOK AWAY! More repeat photos follow.

My landlord was very aware that I was interviewing him as much as he was interviewing me. Part of the conversation went something like this:

Me: I haven't owned a car since 1999. All my transportation is by bike. I keep them in my apartment, hanging on the wall with purpose-made wall-mount racks. Will there be any issues with that?

He: Not that I can think of.

Me: This includes winter time. Will you have any beef with me rolling a slushy bike through the hallways and carrying it up the stairs?

He: It doesn't track in more slush than people do on their boots, right?

Me: Here's my security deposit. Where do I sign?

As for dealing with it, I bounce the bike a couple of times outside to shake off most of the slush. I roll it in though the east wing door. Park it just inside while I check my mailbox. Then I roll it through the central connector to the west wing, carry it up to the third floor, and roll it down the hall to my apartment.

Once inside, I park it on the trainer mat while I sit down and take off my boots and outerwear.

Then it's off to the shower for a quick hose-down. (These two pics with the old wheelset and three-seasons tires.)

Then out to its hook in the living room to drip dry over a boot tray. (See the snow outside?)