Old 09-02-15, 10:36 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
The mental hurdle is no small thing to get over. That was one of the challenges for me as well since I had no group riding experience (well, I was physically NOT fit at all when I started racing either). So, I am sure you're physically ready, but your mindset may be a gray area.

You can buy a one day license at the race. You won't (rather, shouldn't) be making contact to take a wheel in your first race. If you get sketched out in the race, sit on the back and draft and integrate as you feel comfortable. If you get dropped, big deal, do a solo TT. People get dropped in crits all the way up to Cat 1, so don't worry about that.
I was on an aggressive group ride on Monday. A ride where the group leader talked to the group about not doing dumb things that get people hurt. Anyway, at the very end there was a small group of us that was behind the main fast group. Started to stretch to a single line, and it was me and a woman riding side by side with about 4 riders single file in front of us. We were inches apart. Didn't touch. I felt comfortable, but I'm not sure if she did. I'm certain she must be a racer to be on this ride. I could have moved more into the wind, but I just held my position. Didn't grab the wheel. She had "more" of the wheel than me. Maybe it's like that, I don't know. Maybe she's cussing me out after the ride, I don't know.

I feel like if I do the group rides that racers are doing then I am ready. If I'm doing the group rides that the old fat/fit guys are doing, I'm not ready. ANd I've started making the transition already from the latter to the former.

I AM going to do it. Because it's my goal.