Old 04-06-16, 10:08 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Jonsing for new wheels! (Yes, another wheel thread. It must be spring!)

So, I may have a nice new job in the offing--cross your fingers!--and I'm thinking if I get it, I want new wheels for my Domane Disc 6.x. (6-series frame that was a warranty replacement for my defective 4.5 frame.)

This is my third summer of biking, and my riding style is hard-working middle-aged newbie, trying to gain fitness and speed. I've done a half-century and am shooting to do a full century this summer. My average speed is usually around 16-17mph over 30 miles or so.

My price range is to roughly $1500, MAX, (And only really because of the Hunt wheels. See below.) but I'd like to try to keep it closer to $1000, or below, if I can. I want something substantially lighter and more aerodynamic than the bontrager wheels that came on my bike, which are 1750g/pair.

I want something in the 25mm width, and preferably in a 38-40mm depth. I could be convinced to go deeper, but am reluctant to go shallower. (With one exception, which you'll see.) I've been looking around and have put together a list of likely candidates. I'd love opinions from people that have either seen/used/own these wheels, or know someone with experience with them, etc.!

My list so far. (I know there's a huge price range in here, but as you all know, I started at a $600 pricepoint and...well.. you know. )

Hunt 38 @ roughly $1300 US

Hunt Aero light Shallow, and too narrow, but really light! And cheap!

HED Ardennes SL + (The only sub 38 wheel I'm interested in. Got great reviews.) Can be found for ~$950

Farsports 38s Yes, chinese carbon, but really nice hardware, and I've heard of plenty of good experiences with the farsports wheels. I could also go downmarket for the novatech hubs for around $300 less.

And just to be different: Build-your own Bdop wheels. (Nope, never built a wheel, but would like to, so add in a truing stand and spoke tension meter into the price.)

Are there any other wheels I'm missing? The November industries wheels all seem a little shallow and heavy, and the DTS wheels are too narrow. (I'm running 28s on my Domane, and would like to try 30s, so a wider wheel is better for that.)

So have at it. Tell me what I've missed, tell me I'm an idiot for thinking of chinese carbon AND the Hunt wheels at the same time; tell me I'm an idiot for missing brand xxxx because they rock and are cheaper/slightly more, whatever. Opinions! (Oh, but don't bother telling me disc brakes suck and how I would have a wider selection to choose from if I had rim brakes, blah blah. I'm a total disc convert and I ain't budging. lol.)

Thanks, people!

Last edited by Wheever; 04-06-16 at 10:25 AM.