Old 06-18-17, 09:58 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I also have a Cygolite. Battery life isn't great, but recharging is easy. It is sturdier and more waterproof than any battery-powered light that I've owned in the past. The bright flashing modes are really obnoxious to other bicyclists, so I only use the steady or pulse modes. I also have it mounted to my seat stay, which is less obnoxious to other bicyclists than mounting to your seatpost or (especially) your helmet. Unfortunately, so Cygolite models do not come with the seat stay mount, so verify with your shop before buying.
Been using the Hotshot for about three years. Bought the 150 version last year. I have no complaints.

As for the bright flashing modes being too bright ( for group rides ), yep I used to think the same thing. About a week ago while at work ( driving on the road ) I came up on a group of cyclists ( at night ) and they were all using very good rear lighting. Having never come upon a group at night before I have to say I was very impressed at how visible they were. All were using full lighting. What I found surprising was that all of them were using flash modes. To me I would of thought this annoying if riding directly behind someone else while cycling. So much for what I think apparently it wasn't bothering any of them. Then again most of the riders weren't using lamps that appeared super bright.

I wouldn't think having the rear lamp mounted on a seat stay to be a necessary option. Perhaps less obnoxious for a group ride but really if you have a bright rear lamp on the seatpost you can always aim it down if you think it's too bright for the group. Like noglider said if you own one of the Hotshots you have the option to use the steady mode and then lower the output to an acceptable level.

After I passed the guys on the group ride they came up behind me at a light. I opened the sun roof, poked my head out and told the guys I really liked their lights...gave um' the thumbs up.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 06-18-17 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For 01 CAt Man Do: