Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
My impression of OP's Carlton frame is early 1960's. Is there an oil port on the left side of the bottom bracket? Does the fork have a serial number that matches the frame serial number? Is there any reason to suspect the frame has been repainted?

Take a look here:

http://www.veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/library/index.php?action=asearch&searchtext=C&tpage=9&items=16

You'll find a pretty complete collection of Carlton catalogs.

I'm pretty sure you have a "road /path" frame, basically track bike fittings in road bike geometry.

This being the C&V forum it is obligatory that I mention how great your bike would look with classic Campagno Record Pista hubs and crank, Brooks saddle, yada yada yada. And it's true, that would look great.

But realistically, as long as you stick to silver colored aluminum components, you won't go wrong.

Just yesterday I rode a similar frame (JRJ track frame from 1964) built up with mostly "period correct" components over a hilly 200 km route and it was pretty great.

Please keep us posted with your build, and if we criticise the choice of "modern"parts forgive is, we are C&V after all.
I am going to try to keep it as period accurate as possible if I can within a reasonable cost. Crank and BB will be more modern for sure.

No original BB so I have no idea if there was an oil port or not unfortunately.

I did not see ANY serial on the fork that matches. To me, the paint/enamel looks original but I am by no means an expert. I have attached a pic of the fork.

Already have an old Brooks professional that is slated for this build. Any ideas of a vintage style 26.8 seatpost?

Thanks in advance and for all the input. Keep it coming!