Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Okay ...I don't know your budget, but if i were you I would look at the most bike you could buy for the max you can spend. An extra hundred or $150 won't matter a year form now, but having a better bike will....
Yeah, this is solid advice. When possible, spending just a few more bucks to get a discernibly better bike (or better anything) is usually the way to go. I recommended the Fuji because it did look to be equally or better equipped than the others on his list, and was still cheaper. These more expensive bikes on his list all have similar generic parts and wheels, but have lower level shifters and derailleurs. Plus, I'm betting the Fuji's wheelset is going to be a bit more robust, having more spokes. (this trend from the manufacturers towards budget wheelsets with 20-24 spokes, is really annoying. They're hustling folks into thinking they're getting some sort of race-ready wheelset, when they're generally just fragile junk, as was the case with my Fuji's original wheelset. I'd already lined up a new wheelset for mine before I even bought it, and I busted a spoke on the original rear wheel the first 15 minutes I rode it !)

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Okay ...Please post (modified as noted) links so we can tell you the Right Thing to Do.
Fair point, it's always helpful when guys asking for advice post the links for us. I just opened up another window, on a Google page, then copied and pasted each bike model from the OP. Didn't take long to get a quick peek at them all.