View Single Post
Old 02-16-19, 02:11 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I disagree with older rubber being better stuff, I've been riding mountain roads for over 30 years, as the tires got better year after year handling got better than older tires, newer tires last a lot longer in mileage wear, plus the newer tires are more resistant to flats and cuts, especially this last 5 years or so crop of tires are almost immune to cuts yet handle very well. I'm older guy, I've seen the cycling world change over the years, and some of those changes were not good, yet some of them were like tires. The only thing the older tires have over the newer ones is ride comfort, but that's because the older tires didn't have flat belts, and when they did come out with them they weren't as thick or just one ply of flat belt instead of several plies, that thicker belt or more plies lends to a bit harsher ride I think...unless it's just my age doesn't like the harsher ride like it use to! LOL!!! either way newer tires are definitely way better then they use to be years ago. I think silca being put into tires these days has a lot to do with the gripping performance. If you want to experience the feeling of tires of era gone by simply pick up a pair of Specialized Turbo Cotton belted tires, the rubber tread is much better than it was but the cotton belt is the same, if you really want the best feel of an era gone by find a pair of silk belted tires with no other belts of some other material in the tire; of course these cotton and silk tires are very expensive and they don't last long, but tires in the older days didn't last as long as they do today anyways.
I am going to guess you were responding to me. No quarrel here that tires have improved a great deal in past 30 or 40 years. The 1970s and 1980s in general, and certainly wrt tires, represented an absolute nadir of quality. My 1959 Schwinn Spitfire (I am original owner) in front of the fireplace still has its original front Goodyear tire in spite of generations of children doing their best to destroy it. Rear tire is a 1960s Carlisle. Both tires ride well and are perfectly safe. They don't need belts to not flat. There are 100 year old tires still fit to ride. Most tires from 80s were barely fit to ride when new.