View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 03:00 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
It is spelled "Nuovo Record".

Dura Ace was more or less equivalent, being Shimano's top of the line group. For 9 out of 10 cyclists, it's going have about the same peformance.

Dura Ace cost a bit less. It was not quite as rugged and reliable as NR. It was more susceptible to crash damage. The hubs were nice but not magic smooth like Campy. The brakes didn't have as good fine modulation. The cranks were more prone to creaking. The brake levers sometimes broke. The RD sometimes broke. These difference in practice were relatively small, but they were there. Also, replacement parts were not readily available.

Yeah, 7400 leapfrogged campy when it came out, but that is a different question and a different discussion. There are many very good reasons most people who raced rode all campy BITD. The idea that it was all snobbery is ill informed.

I am not a collector so I don't know what today's market values should be. I'd take a WAG that an otherwise equivalent bike to cost maybe 10% less if Dura Ace instead of Campy NR.