View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 03:09 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Well, that's hard to argue with, but I was discussing first generation Dura Ace, not something from the 1980s that competed with Super Record.

The 1973 edition:

OK, my misunderstanding. Dropping the timeline back ten years, I'll still put my money on Dura Ace, although not by the large margin it was ten years later.

Back in 73-74, I had two main rides: The aforementioned all-Campy Gitane, and a World Voyageur that I modified somewhat for touring. Changed the wheels to sew-up rims (yes, for touring, they worked quite well, back then the difference between 27x1-1/4 clinchers and sew-ups were that vast), added fenders, bag racks, and a set of three Cannondale panniers. Both bikes had bar end shifters, the Gitane's was Campy, of course.

I still liked the Shimano Crane setup better than the Campagnolo. No, the action wasn't clearly superior like ten years later, but it worked as well, handled a much wider gear range (of course I had the long arm setup on the rear), and cost a hell of a lot less. Not having been the SunTour junkie like a lot of the guys I rode with in the Presque Isle Bicycle Club, I was a bit behind in catching on with the latest tech, but that Voyageur was the first indication I got that the Europeans (and especially Campagnolo) was in for some serious trouble from the Japanese like, right now.

At that moment in time, I still figured the Huret Jubilee was the setup to beat, but Simplex was still holding firm, and the performance of Shimano was eye opening. Things were definitely changing.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)