View Single Post
Old 01-18-08, 07:26 PM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edzo
at 15psi, it goes in fresh snow fine, up to where show hits your toe each pedal revolution

if you encounter xc tracks, or snowshoe tracks, or grades, you might start
to wash out a bit, or the xc tracks tend to bobsled you a bit

jump of, bleed the pressure to 8 or 9spsi (so the tire really squashes down)
you still won't bottom the rim and then you literally steer the bike no trail
imperfection, footprint, or parallel track steers for you. you just truck right
through and over anything. once in a while if there is deep soft snow and you sink
past a certain depth you may end up dabbing, but it is insane what you will float
up and over

compared to a 2 incher ? it is definitely all about riding and not dabbing... where you'd be
walking and give up riding that trail or that day previously. it is a HUGE difference. I am
able to ride snowmobile tracks [that are too soft for other bikes] quite easily. and I often
just turn off into the freshies and motor along where no bike could go more than 10 feet
w/o busting through and bogging down, or getting steered off track by the terrain.

best thing I ever did for winter is get this rig. I got the fendered CX bike for sloppy
spring melt. this will be my snow and wet grass/'waiting for the woods to dry out for summer' bike
super low to no impact on fragile spring trails. (tested while we had january thaw)

I am sooooo jealous!!!!!