Old 03-22-11, 09:46 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. I don't happen to feel mentally or physically burnt out, but it's probably correct to say my expectations and my results aren't exactly lining up. Part of it also has to do with a bit of envy that teammates are doing really well while and are upgrading out of Collegiate C's while i stagnate there, but i have gotten past that.

I'll be noddling around today and tomorrow, ride in some less than pleasant conditions on Thursday, and give it a shot on Saturday. Small goal for now would be to ride the top ten wheels for most of the race on Saturday. Baby steps.

As for the things i'm fearing, it's probably descending on previously-unridden roads (even more so if it has sharp turns) and going into sharp turns in the presence of others. The latter is particularly frustrating as i'm pretty comfortable with >135 degree turns when i'm by myself. In a pack, i basically need to expend quite a bit of energy in order to get into good position, but i guess it's a lot better to burn a match to move up than it is to burn a match to latch on after the corner; however, if this is a feature of a crit, i'll eventually run out of matches to do anything else.

The other thing i'm uncomfortable with is moving up inside a pack. Most of the times, i move up on the side of pack shielded from the wind as it doesn't cost as much energy and i can do it fast. However, once i'm inside a pack, it's hard to maneuver (i guess that is probably a given). The other thing is to convince people to let me slot in after i have moved up from the outside, which, given my tendencies to move on the outside, is something i really need to work on.