AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metalheart44
lately I have ben thinking about trying the race thing. I am 69, probably heavy for racing at 193, but I am slowly loosing weight. I ride with mostly 50 year olds and I hold my own and can often do well on hill sprints. So, I think the racing thing might be interesting to try, but for the life of me I cannot find the racing age categories on the USA website.

Can anyone enlighten me about the racing age groups for masters?
Hi, and welcome.

USAC does not license by age group, nor does it require specific age groupings for USAC sanctioned events. The promoters of each race define the categories that will be used. They are typically broken out at either the x0 or x5 ages. In an age-group race you would currently be either 60+ or 65+; 70+ if your 70th birthday is this year. In the higher age groups there isn't as much participation, and many age groups race together. So 55+ and 65+ would be in the same race, but scored separately.

You will need to get a Cat 5 license from USAC, and start your racing mixed in with the kids in Cat 5. Some races require you to be Cat 4 in order to race the Masters (age group) races. To get to Cat 4 you need to finish 10 mass start races.