Old 07-26-13, 06:15 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Welcome! It's great to see another Master's guy in the group.

Since I'm probably the least experienced racer here, I've got somewhat of an idea of what you're facing. What has helped me was finding a cycling club with Masters who actively race (and this forum is part of that). They'll be able to provide tips about training and let you know about racing-related rides. My experience has been that even the teenaged racers are supportive of guys (and gals) our age racing.

Checked out the Holland Exogrid. You've got the cool bike thing covered. If you decide to get another bike for racing, check among the Masters racers in your area for a shop that'll take you seriously, instead of thinking, "Sure, geezer, you need one of these like the other geezers ride." Also, as you train harder, you may find as I did that your bike fit changes. I'm lower and more stretched out than I was when I was just riding centuries...and my current fit now works for centuries as well. I had to buy another frameset the next size down to get one that fit what I needed.

You're going to have to find that line between "hard" and "stupid" exertion again, unless you already have. That's one of the best parts for me - I had forgotten how hard I could push myself.

This stuff is fun.

Demain, on roule!