Old 11-12-13, 09:11 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
lately I have ben thinking about trying the race thing. I am 69, probably heavy for racing at 193, but I am slowly loosing weight. I ride with mostly 50 year olds and I hold my own and can often do well on hill sprints. So, I think the racing thing might be interesting to try, but for the life of me I cannot find the racing age categories on the USA website.

Can anyone enlighten me about the racing age groups for masters?
I'll be 67 in March and have not raced since 1995. My guess is that in your age group the races would be small, maybe ten or fifteen bikes at most. The race would probably be like a tour for the first half before the real racing begins. When you hit the hills some old studs are going to test you but if you stay with them they will slow down again. If you can hold on over the hills the last four or five miles is when the hammer comes down. You and I are in a good position. Most of our competition is either in a rest home or already dead. Oh, and if you haven't had massive road rash yet it's a memorable experience especially at our age.