View Single Post
Old 02-03-20, 08:27 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I'd love some advices on winter commuting shoes. I'm in NYC, fresh out of Chicago, and the wife and I are going car free while we are here. I'd like something like a light hiking boot or high top basketball sneaker, that's fully waterproof. I have gaiters to wear with them, so I can seal the ankle pretty well.
I use old timey toe clips so something that will last in the clips is important. Something with long wearing soles too. I've been doing a lot more walking while in New York!
I almost think some hi-top skate board shoes would fit the bill?
What do you guys think?
I commute in Colorado Springs year-round with toe clips. I find low-top skate-board shoes with a firm sole to be just fine. Low-top, to keep my ankle roating free.
In the snow and rain I wrap a plastic grocery bag or two over my socks, and that seems to work fine for snow up to 3-inches...my limit.

Over the years I have found toe clips will wear a little on the front of the shoe. And simple, uncomplicated smooth-toe shoes work better. Any extra stitching or layering will eventually catch on the clips and be tougher to pull-out.

I once tried a sneaker with some plasticy fake-leather upper and those cracked after a few weeks in the clips. I find canvas or rubberized canvas to work better.

I also put inserts with rigid heel supports in the shoes which helps firm up the soles even more.

I decided to buy fairly inexpensive shoes because I commute most days, and shoes last about a year for me.

Except the last two years, the shoes have lasted longer because I use a different pair of shoes in the winter...a pair of LED lighted sneakers.
Likes For BobbyG: