Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
wouldn't that button always be on ? or turned up to 100? haha
Eleven.

Originally Posted by Welshboy
An eventful start this morning. Less than four minutes into my 10-mile ride this morning I got hit by a car. Nothing hurts and nothing is broken.

Early morning and still dark and my bike was lit up like a Christmas tree. I was cycling on the footpath attempting to cross a busy roundabout and as I approached the unmarked crossing (i.e. where the kerb drops to allow wheelchair users and pushchairs to cross) a motorist stopped and I thought that's good of him. I looked away from him to make sure that no one was about to overtake him (it does happen right there) and as I crossed he just drove into me. I dabbed one foot down and pirouetted around and despite a right old clatter I stayed upright and no damage was done (I did turn the air blue though). 50/50 blame I guess but I do think he was a bit selfish in not allowing me to cross. I guess he was running late or just more important than a cyclist!
^^^ Whew, glad you're okay. I think I heard some of the cussing from here, where it would have been the middle of the night still.

Here in the states, he'd be 100% at fault. What you described is what we call a crosswalk. A crosswalk is NOT necessarily a "marked" crosswalk (zebra crossing). Any continuation of a pedestrian walk (footpath) across a road is considered a crosswalk. Once a pedestrian has entered a crosswalk, vehicles are required to yield. And yes, if you're crossing using a bicycle, not going at an excessive speed, crossing (to use the language that's in virtually every state law here) "in a manner consistent with that of a pedestrian", you are, by law, crossing _as_ a pedestrian. IOW, if you had been walking, pushing a pram, pulling a Radio Flyer wagon full of groceries, etc., that car would have hit you anyway, and would have been 100% at fault.