View Single Post
Old 11-04-19, 11:35 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Don't Try It

Originally Posted by thorstein
I have never seen that version of the Cyclone before. I bet it'd look nice on my Voyageur...

I'm planning to put the Cyclone on to replace the Shimano Light Action that handles 28T in the front & 30T in the rear. I think I'll have to make sure the Cyclone can clear the 30T.
If you are talking about the 3 pulley Cyclone long arm RD, it would work without any problems.

As for the short arm original design... as they used to say in Jinglish slang in Japan in the 1960's "Neba hatchy boysan"!

24T rear, maybe 26T - I'm talking about freewheel size/tooth count, not derailleur capacity.

Derailleurs were rated using a complex method of calculating the difference between the teeth count or a simplified way of just stating the largest and smallest size sprocket the derailleur could handle which included chain wrap capacity and chain clearance.

The short arm Cyclone RDs could handle 52-42T chainrings with a 24T or maybe a 26T FW.

BTW, from the Suntour V derailleurs of the early 70's on, the short arm RDs were designed for competition use and rated at 24T maximum FW size.

For wider range gearing, Suntour became famous for their excellent medium and long arm derailleurs. Their patented design was coveted by other derailleur manufactures for several decades.

PS, I wouldn't worry about the dust shields as they remain stationary because the are lock in place by the pulley bushing when the screw is tightened and they don't rotate.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 11-04-19 at 12:05 PM.