Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Out of curiosity, I see that there a 40km held in Cordova, IL and another in Paw Paw, IL. The latter is called (at least by the organizers) as the Illinois State TT championship. What's the story?
Those sound like ABR events. ABR is American Bicycle Racing. Another sanctioning body that was started a bunch of years back as an answer for those who were tired of USA Cycling. We had reciprocity for years but USAC ended that a bunch of years back during their effort to bring all outstanding sanctioning bodies to their knees (OBRA, BRAC, NEBRA, etc) ABR is/was popular here, Ohio, and Northern California it seemed.

When I moved here the racing was equally well attended at both USAC and ABR events. MATTs is ABR. So they do their own "State Championship". In fact depending on the event I believe you can also say you're the national champion. Knew a guy who would show up every year and toe the line hoping the other 80+ rider would die or stop showing up just so he could be a national champion. Happened one year. He walked around for years with that national jersey under his shirt just so that when servers at the bar doubt him ask he could unzip and show them the proof. Billy. Great guy.

We had a State TT downstate last year. Those guys have thrown in the towel to the best of my knowledge.

Likes For Psimet2001: