Old 03-13-20, 02:30 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein
On the other hand, braking efficiency of rod brakes can be increased with the proper know-how. Also, as has been mentioned, if your riding style will not necessitate quick stops while at high speeds, the bike could work for you.
One quick tip- many people complain about poor braking performance, but adjustment is key. One adjustment that is often not known is the brake levers; they are made of soft steel and they bend over time. They have to be bent back into position on a regular basis! The technique to do this looks scary but its fairly easy. You grasp the pivot point on the handlebar so it can't be damaged broken off when you do the 'adjustment' and with the other hand band that brake level down so you've got plenty of travel.

If this isn't done the bike can get quite scary! But if you pay attention to this the bike will brake as well as any machine with side pull brakes.

I sold by 1957 BSA Golden Deluxe a couple years ago and thought I was free of these things but a 1949 Royal Enfield came my way cheap so I still have a rod brake machine. The real pain the rear with these is not the braking power so much as the need for the wheels to really be perfectly round so the braking is even. The point here is I'm walking my talk- but I do also recommend the proper Kool Stop pads as they really help.