View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 11:33 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
A few things to consider:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about hour experience. There's nothing worse than getting a high-end bike and having these kinds of issues. I haven't found very many shops, however, that can deliver perfection on a super high end bike. I've had a very hard time finding a mechanic that truly dots all the i's and crosses all the t's.

1) It's likely the first set of pads got contaminated with fluid, leading to poor performance.

2) If the rotors aren't out of true and they've been resurfaced, there is no point in replacing them.

3) Replacing the pads was the right thing to do. I would suggest a softer compound if you don't like noise.

4) All disc brakes/pads have to be bedded before use. This prevents a lot of the shimmy/noise issues from developing after they're used.

I have SRAM brakes on 5 bikes. Two of those bikes have SRAM Level Ultimate (mountain bikes). Three of them have SRAM AXS Red. They all brake very well. However, like all disc brakes, they will periodically make noise. The same is true of my old Shimano mountain bike. The rotors are pretty lightweight and not terribly stiff, so noise comes and goes. For the most part, my brakes a silent, though. This definitely isn't a SRAM issue or a Trek issue. It's a numbskull dealer issue. Cross-chain noise is trivial to fix with an adjustment to the limit screws. These little details, in my experience, are almost never adequately addressed by shop mechanics. I can't think of any high end bike I've ever bought - EVER - that hasn't had some niggling issue right after purchase. And that's the reason I've learned how to do most of my own bike wrenching. You just can't expect a shop mechanic working at relatively low wages to deliver ultra high-end setups.

Regardless, I wouldn't give up on SRAM, and your brake issues should be easy to fix. You should, by the way, put some miles on the brakes. They do break in over time. If you've never owned a bike with disc brakes, you'll just have to get used to the fact that sometimes they will make noise. They will not, however, pulsate the way you described. That sounds like contaminated pads on top of poor bedding. Properly bed a new set of pads (it only takes 15 minutes) on newly surfaced rotors and you're off to the races.
Likes For justonwo: